Monday 18 October 2010

Props, Costumes and Characters Appearance











Ellie (aged 11)
Martha (aged 9)

Tess (aged 7)

I have these children dressed in colours which consist of greys, blacks and browns as I thought bright colours would not relate to the horror genre and distract from the theme of my film trailer. I also wanted them to wear these colours as they seem dull and help add to the disturbing atmosphere. I have also painted their faces white with grey eye shadow around the eyes to exaggerate the more ghostly appearance. I think this is effective due to children being stereotypically known as active, overjoyed and enthusiastic about life. Where as in my trailer they appear miserable, depressing and lifeless which subverts the stereotype of children. This is the reason why I have chosen to include children in the beginning part of my trailer. I have also used young children at this stage due to nursery rhymes being associated with and iconic of children. I have chosen to use three girls as it shows a range of ages of young children. These girls are sisters so the target audience can relate to remind them of their younger relatives.
I received my inspiration for the appearance of my 
characters after researching in to several films which had a ghostly theme. I found characters such as 'Beetlejuice' and 'The Grudge' which were the kind of ghostly look I wanted to achieve.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094721/
(IMDB - Beetlejuice)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0391198/
(IMDB - The Grudge)